Prof. Dr. Jan C. Schmidt
Areas of interest
- Philosophy of Science
- Philosophie of Technology
- Philosophy of Nature and Natural Philosophy
- History of Science and Technology
- Technology and Scoiety, Technology Assessment
- Environmental and Sustainability Ethics, Science and Engineering Ethics
- Philosophy, Theory and Methodology of Inter- and Transdisciplinarity
- Science, Technoloy and Society Studies and Social Epistemology
- Social-Ecological and Sustainability Research
- Complex Systems Theory, Chaos Theory, Self Organization, Nonlinear Dynamics
- Since 2008: Professor of Philosophy, Unit of Social, Culture and Technology Studies, University of Applied Sciences, Darmstadt / Germany.
- 2021: Rank second, Professor for Social Ecology / Transdisciplinary Research about Society-Nature-Relations (W3), Department of Biosciences, Goethe University Frankfurt/M., in connection with the Scientific Directorship of the Institute for Social-Ecological Research (ISOE), Frankfurt/M.
- 2018 - 2019: Research Fellow, European Academy of Technology and Innovation Assessment, Bad Neuenhar-Ahrweiler / Germany.
- 2016: Rank first, Professor for Philosophy of the General Technological Sciences (W3), Department of Social Sciences, Technical University Cottbus / BTU (no offer), Germany.
- 2016: Invited Guest Professor, Faculty of Risk- and Security Studies, University of Life Science, Vienna / Austria.
- 2015: Invited Guest Professor, Faculty of Interdisciplinary Studies, University of Klagenfurt in Vienna / Austria.
- 2011 - 2012: Stand-in Full Professor of Natural Philosophy, Friedrich-Schiller-University, Jena / Germany.
- 2006 - 2008: Associate Professor of Philosophy, School of Public Policy, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta / U.S.A.
- 1999 - 2006: Senior Scientist, Lecturer, Assistant to a Professor, Department of Philosophy and Center for Interdisciplinary Studies of Technology, Technical University, Darmstadt / Germany.
- 1996 - 1999: Junior Scientist and Assistant to a Professor, Department of Physics, University of Mainz / Germany.
- 1995 - 1996: Junior Scientist, Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Energy, and Environment, Wuppertal / Germany.
- 2006: Habilitation (phil. habil.), Philosophy, Department of Philosophy, Technical University, Darmstadt.
- 2004: B.A. (first state examination for grammar school teacher), Education Science, Department of Pedagogics, University of Mainz.
- 2004: M.A., Philosophy, Department of Philosophy, Technical University, Darmstadt.
- 1999: Ph.D. (Dr. rer. nat.), Physics, Department of Physics, University of Mainz.
- 1995: M.Sc. (Dipl.-Phys.), Physics, Department of Physics, University of Mainz.